Sunday, September 7, 2008

blacc and white

Have you ever thought about how we are in this same world together but are so seperate from eachother. I went to Paul Revere Middle school and Palisades Charter High school. It was a very diverse school mainly Caucasians and Orientals. Going to school with every shade of skin, every nationality was sometimes challenging. Something I will never forget was a discussion in my 12th grade African American History class, We were discussing the topic of Indian's receiving funds and why African Americans weren't receiving anything at all. A uneducated ignorant girl replied, "They need to just get over it slavery is over and its to many of them to give money to anyways"! My mouth dropped and my eyes were left wide open.

Well i guess she was entitled to her own opinion. My perception changed about alot. It annoyed me that she was so ignorant and heartless because everyday our people are left struggling to get to the top when some already have a peddle stool below them. On the other hand everything about our school was segregated. It amazed me to think so long ago it was just like how it is now it made me realize didn't to much change. We did an exercise that I had to share we compared and contrast the colors black and white and everything that dealt with those colors.

BLACK: Very dark in color, heavy, serious, soiled, absence of light, wicked, very sad, gloomy, characterized by hostility or angry discontent


WHITE: Free from color, free from spot and blemish, innocent, favorable, fortunate, marked by upright fairness and pure

We are all so different but yet the same. In the great words of Martin Luther King Jr. "Let no man pull you low enough to hate him". No matter what no one says or how a dictionary describes are color we are all equal.

No comments: