Monday, March 16, 2009

Fustrated with Umoja

When I first heard about the Umoja program I was overwhelmed with the information provided.Not only was it my first semester in college but, the program seemed unorganized.My expectations were completely different from what the program offered.In high school I was the Vice President of the BSU (Black Student Union) club. Eventhough I wasn't in high school anymore I enjoyed the organizations,the black history classes and the unity between the black students. I thought the program would have atleast offered a African-American History class.My first semester experience was crazy!Everyone including myself, was complaining about doing plato and how it was too much work.The administration had a message for us almost everyday.Eventhough I know in my heart their are good people behind this program that want us to succeed,I still feel the program is overwhelming.The hours of the class,plato,and this new signing in method are taking a toll on me.I know maybe in a couple of semesters with patient students this program will work out.Now, Im not saying I don't take what I learn and the tutoring for granted but in this situation the bad out weighed the good.

No comments: