Monday, October 27, 2008

My heart flew to heaven

I recall on a very hot and humid day sitting down in our over packed bungalows waiting for our assignment.Our agenda was set up on the huge green chalk board.In Our English class we did alot of poetry and reading.Our teacher Ms.Ramzi told us,"Today we will be analyzing this Indian poem with an anonymous writer." I took the poem and read it.


Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

As I began to read it I automatically became sadden.I had lost my cousin 6 months before reading the poem.It was still tragic to me and I just couldn't see my life without my elder cousin.I read the poem again and read it with feeling and compassion.I wanted to cry but,I didn't want to make a big scene.My teacher told us close our eyes think of someone who has past and listen to her read the poem out loud. Every word and every line made my imagery go wild.Its been 6 years today since my cousin past away and I still cry.I know he is indeed in a better place But, I wish the better place would have been here with me.This poem has made me view my cousin's death in a positive perspective.I know he watches over me everyday faithfully.


RIP.GREGORY RUSSELL GAROY...WE STILL MISS YOU....

No comments: